“The current voluntary standard, public awareness campaigns, and product and packaging changes to date are good first steps, but the numbers are still unacceptably high,” lead study author Gary Smith, director of Center for Injury Research and Policy at Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Columbus, Ohio, told Reuters. “We can do better.”
RELATED: Number of Georgian Kids Eating Laundry Detergent Pods Tripled
If someone swallows a small amount of concentrated detergent in the pods, it can cause diarrhea and vomiting. And it can even seep into the lungs and burn the airways, making it incredibly difficult to breathe, Dr. Alfred Aleguas Jr., general manager of the Florida Poison Information Center told USA Today last year.
The National Capital Poison Center, a Washington-based nonprofit, said biting a pod can cause “serious injury or death.” Rubbing the product into the eyes can also cause burns.
The pods also pose fatal risks to adults with dementia.
At least six adults with dementia, as well as two children, have died from ingestion of the pods, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
A 2016 report from the Georgia Poison Center showed that the number of children falling ill from detergent pods had tripled in the past four years.
Read the full new study at Pediatries.aapppublications.org.